National Smallholder Poultry Development Trust:Highlights 2019
Pashu Sandesh, 04 January 2020
National Smallholder Poultry Development Trust (NSPDT) supports farmer collectives (cooperatives and federations) in business and organisational review and guides collectives in implementing and adhering to smallholder poultry business systems and processes.
It nurtures smallholder poultry networks and promotes initiatives to increase the number of farmers, helping launch new producers.
With the promotion of backyard poultry NSPDT has enabled tribal women in many states earn a respectful livelihood and run successful poultry enterprises.NSPDT model incorporates industrial poultry to a small woman farmer in a remote village. It does this by organising women into collectives, creating systems and processes for them to attain industry competitive production and scale efficiencies. The enterprise gives the woman farmer an income for her labour while giving her the dignity and control of an owner.
Here are the glimpses of few achievements of NSPDT in 2019
- Promoted more than 2500 new poultry producers in different producer’s collectives in the year 2019
- Total producers – More than 15,000 and it is one of the largest farmer’s networks in the country. Total turnover was more than Rs. 524 crores and member’s profit more than Rs. 40 crores.
- Setting up a poultry processing plant in Itarsi, Hoshangabad district of MP with supports of Government of Australia.
- Started a layer cooperative of 300 producers in Basia block of Gumla district in Jharkhand with supports of Govt. of Jharkhand.
- Setting up a layer producer’s collective of 500 producers in Singrauli district of Madhya Pradesh with supports of District administration, Singrauli under DMF project.
- Started a broiler producer’s collective of 300 producers in Katni district of Madhya Pradesh with supports of District Administration, Katni.
- A breeder unit of 30,000 birds was setup by Jharkhand Federation with supports of Rabobank Foundation. MP federation breeder capacity is increased to 80,000 birds.
- A new hatchery unit of 3.0 lac chicks was setup by Jharkhand Federation. Total hatching capacity is increased to 9.5 lac chicks per month.
- A new hatchery unit of 6.0 lac chicks capacity was set up by MP poultry federation (MPWPCL), now the total hatching capacity is increased to 12.0 lac chicks per month. Another hatchery of 5.0 lac chicks is under construction.
- Manufacturing of pellet feed also started by Jharkhand and Assam Federation.
Awards & Recognition: –
- Best FPO of the year Award – MPWPCL (MP Poultry federation promoted by NSPDT) received the best FPO award organized by Access Development Services & Rabo bank.
- Outlook Swaraj Award – JWSPCF (Jharkhand poultry federation promoted by NSPDT) awarded for best state cooperative society in Outlook Agriculture Conclave.
- National Entrepreneurship Award – Peterwar cooperative (a poultry cooperative of NSPDT) was awarded best cooperative for National Entrepreneurship award.
- Best FPO of the year Award – Maikal Women Poultry Producer Company Ltd. (a poultry cooperative promoted by NSPDT in Anuppur district of MP) won the best FPO award in “best impact in terms of outcome” category organized by Times group and Samunnati.
- Dr Harekrishna Deka (Chief Executive – NSPDT) received the *Rural Icon* of MP award, presented by Honourable Union Minister, Agriculture and Rural Development, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar and respected minister, Panchayat and Rural Development, Government of MP, Shri Kamleshwar Patel. Please refer with this link mentioned